Existing courses can be activated by students or course managers by "Registration periods". You can define certain registration periods for your school via the menu item <Courses> | <Registration periods>.
In the defined time range, you can give permission to either register or pre-register for a course, and to drop a course. You can restrict the above to users of a department, and you can also restrict the number of eligible courses. Students can choose from all courses of the statuses "planned" and "confirmed".
You can define a "pre-registration phase" for getting an overview regarding the interest in the eligible courses. In this phase, the numbers of registrations may be higher than the maximum number of permitted participants of the courses. This way, you can register all students interested in the respective courses.
After this pre-registration phase, you can decide which course is not going to be offered due to lack of interest, or for which courses you need to have more than one course option due to the high interest of the students.
If you want to change the status of the course from "planned" to "confirmed" or "cancelled", go to <Courses> | <Courses>, highlight the respective courses, click on the "Change status" button and activate serial change.
How to assign eligible courses
Regarding the assignment of the eligible courses to a registratrion period, please note that a course can only be assigned to one registration period!
Registration (and opting out) for students of department 1 is activated for
the courses "IT" and "Political education". This means that only students of this department have permission to register for (or opt out of) one of the three courses in July 2018.
In addition to restrictions regarding courses, registration period and department, you can use priorities in order to give the students the possibility to convey the importance the courses have for them.
You can define the number of courses, and also the course priorities a student can choose from. Additionally,
you can define that the priority needs to be stated in a mandatory field you provide with registration, and you can define that
every priority can only be chosen once.
Registration status of a student regarding certain courses
We differentiate between:
- not registered (original status, neither student nor course manager have changed the status so far)
- advance registration
- course dropped
- on waiting list
Course reg. w. acceptance/confirmation by students
This option generates a multi-level process at registration. In addition to the statuses not registered, registered, pre-registered, course dropped and on waiting list, there are additional registration statuses: registration not confirmed and registration confirmed.
The reason for this is that:
- students can declare their interest in a course (registration status: registration not confirmed),
- the respective teacher basically accepts the registration (registration status: registration confirmed),
- the student finally confirms participation (registration status: registered).
Therefore: 3 levels of registration. The teacher must be entered as the person in charge (or as deputy) at the course properties in order to be able to accept the student!
If you want to declare the course selection category as mandatory field when the student registers, you can do this also here in the registration periods.
Enter a person's name in the "Person in charge" field, who will be responsible for the administration
of the registration period. This person can carry out any changes regarding this registration period.
The following settings of the respective registration period apply for the assigned courses:
- Time range: The courses are basically available for registration within this time range
- Admissible registration status: Which statuses can be chosen for registering for courses
- Department: Restricts the possibility to register for courses to the students of the same department.
- Number of eligible courses: The number of courses (assigned to the respective registration period) a student actually can register for
- Number of eligible course priorities: Which course priorities are admissible to be selected for a registration (e.g. 3 = 1, 2 or 3)
- Priority only to be selected once: Every eligible course priority - with regard to all courses of the registration period - can only be selected once.
Alternatively, this option (<Courses> | <Settings>) can be referred to the respective course of the course module.
- Course-choice category is a mandatory field for registration: Students cannot be registered for a course without having chosen a course-choice category (Warning: When the course manager registers the student, this is not checked)
because course managers need to be able to register their students, or students need to be able to register themselves for selected courses.
How to import registrations
You can import the student registrations to the respective WebUntis lesson for all courses which were not generated from course templates but from WebUntis lessons ("Create courses from lessons") in the overview of the registration periods under <Courses> | <Registration periods>. Click on the following icon:
This means that you do not need to manually assign the students to the respective lessons (usually necessary, e.g. under <Lessons> | <My lessons> | Student groups). Students who have registered are automatically considered when the students are assigned to the lessons, as soon as "Import registrations" will have been selected.
If the lesson does not have a student group yet, you need to create one.
Warning! An already existing possible assignment of students to a student group will be replaced and will get lost therefore, when you click on "Import registrations"!