Basically, you create your timetable at the beginning of the school year as you are used to. If it happens during the school year that something makes it inevitable to fundamentally modify the timetable, simply create a new term. Do the following:
- Click on the <Term> button on the 'Start' tab. For the time being, there is only one term, which is called "Term 1" by default.
- Click on the <New term for this mother term>. A window opens where you can enter a short and a full name of the new term (default name: "Term 2").
- Create descriptive short and full names for the new term - e.g. "Sem 2","Semester 2" - and confirm by clicking on the <OK> button. You also can change the name of the original term, "Term1" (e.g. "Semester 1").
- Now change the start (from) and the end date (to) by using the calendar. Now the duration of the individual terms are shown in the "Days" column.
- Confirm with <Ok>, and the term window will close. A combo box is shown in the main toolbar which shows the current term, and you can change to another term in this box. Master data, lessons and timetable can now be modified in this newly created term according to the new requirements.
- Now change terms, from "Semester 2" to "Semester 1". You will see that the data in both terms are identical.
Now modify one of the two terms. Delete, for instance, the timetable in the "Semester 2" term. Change back to "Semester 1". The timetable of the "Semester 1" term was not deleted.
You can quickly change to another period via the status bar (show the status bar via "Settings | Status bar") at the bottom right of your program window. Click on one of the arrow brackets enclosing the current term.
How to embed a term
If the timetable changes for a certain period of time (e.g. longer rehabilitation stay of a teacher, school event for a large part of a class), you can embed a new term into an already existing term.
In the term window, this would look the following:
"Term 1" runs from 19 September to 30 June, "Term 2" (winter sports week) runs for one week, 13 February to 18 February. You now can modify the timetable for this respective week and the timetable of the remaining year will not be affected at all.
If more than one term already exist, you can choose which term is to be the mother term of the new term. If it becomes necessary, to modify the timetable once again during the school year, the term most similar to the new term is defined as mother term. In general, this is the term which was most recently applied.
How to delete a term
If you do not need a term (any more), you can select it in the term dialogue window, and delete it by clicking on the <Del> button.
Please note that a term which does not have a mother term (usually the term called "Term 1") cannot be deleted.